Thursday 3 May 2018

Quakers...

Just read an article in the Guardian about the Quakers voting whether to remove all mentions of God from their (mostly) silent meetings, because the word “makes some Quakers feel uncomfortable”. The article also suggests that 43% of Quakers felt “unable to profess a belief in God” (with 14%, like me, being atheists). Hmmm, maybe I'm not so unusual, in taking my unbelief to Quaker meetings once or twice a month. Certainly, no one questions me about what I believe, or don't believe, and I have used Quakers as an example, in my book, of a sane, non-coercive, non-judgemental religious community. A Quaker street gang would intimidate nobody, and an extremist Quaker would be someone who really believes in peace, social justice and human rights. It's just a shame that numbers are falling. In thirty years there may be no more Quakers.

Dunwich Heath, a pic just licensed (and I was there yesterday, taking more pix)...


No comments:

Post a Comment