Wednesday 11 April 2018

Fingringhoe Wick...

Had a leisurely stroll around Fingringhoe Wick, in Essex. I’d assumed I was too early for nightingales, though I was told, at the visitor centre, that the first singing male had been heard yesterday. I listened to a blackcap (whose song is almost - but not quite - as evocative as a nightingale’s), which was perched just a few feel away, wary and watchful, as I sat in a hide. The nightingale proved to be elusive, but I’ll be back at Fingringhoe Wick before the end of the month. The reserve is advertising ‘nightingale walks’, so the birds will have to be there!

Drove north to Minsmere, probably the RSPB’s best-known reserve, in Suffolk. The mist had rolled in by the time I arrived, so I only had a quick look round. Plenty of people around, and plenty of birds; I just couldn’t see most of them! It doesn’t matter that my spring of bird watching has got off to a slow start; it gives me more time to edit the book…

Not much of a pic, but it sold today: Goat Fell on the Isle of Arran...

No comments:

Post a Comment