Wednesday 8 February 2017

Pocklington...

Stayed in a campsite near Pocklington yesterday, to charge up the leisure batteries and get up to date with photo editing. I still visit campsites about once a month, though I have yet to find anywhere that rivals Woodnook Campsite, near Grassington, in the Yorkshire Dales. Woodnook has modest ambitions - no swimming pool, bar or cafĂ© - but it’s got a great location in limestone country, everything just works… and it’s cheap. The electric hook-up allows me to plug in my laptop, Kindle, battery charger, radio, etc - and run the heater - without overloading the circuit. The showers are hot, the wifi is dependable and there’s a washing machine and tumble drier on-site. They could show a few other campsites how to do things properly.

The campsite near Pocklington is pleasant enough; the caravans and motorhomes are parked around a small lake, and it would be a good place to come in summer. But there was barely any wifi signal, no facilities for washing clothes and the floor of the men’s shower cubicle (there’s only one!) was so slippery that I could barely stand up in it. If I ran the heater, I couldn’t plug anything else in without the inverter beeping at me. The campsite was more expensive too. Never mind; I was just happy to find a campsite open for business in February, as most of them close over the winter months… 

Alcester, Warwickshire...

No comments:

Post a Comment