Wednesday 15 February 2017

Drone...

I never got to Dentdale; I parked, instead, within sight of Ribblehead Viaduct, and joined the phalanx of photographers hoping to get a pic of steam loco Tornado. I got lucky with the light, and took some good pix, with the white smoke contrasting with the gloomy skies. I waited for the train’s return, but kept my camera in the van due to the rain.

I had a chat with a guy from Morecambe who was flying a drone over the viadiuct. He was controlling it via an iPad, which allowed him a drone’s-eye-view. It was very stable in flight, and, if he stopped controlling it, the drone would just stay where it was. He flew the drone along the viaduct and followed the line as far north as Garsdale station. Apparently, even at that distance, the drone was still in his control. Better yet, he said that if the drone went out of range, it was programmed to find its way back to wherever he was. I was impressed (though not envious; it was fun just to watch what the drone would do)…

No comments:

Post a Comment