Sunday 12 June 2016

Neil Young...

Saw Neil Young on Friday night with chums from York. The venue was a cavernous arena in Leeds, between the Merrion Centre and the Inner Ring Road. Good concert, good company… though the experience was a forceful reminder of why I avoid crowds… especially on a Friday night… in the big city. At such moments I feel like a ‘hick from the sticks’. Seeing Neil Young for the first time, in the company of 13,500 people (that’s the stated capacity, and the place looked full) was curiously uninvolving.

I’ve been humming his songs since Friday night, though I doubt whether I’ll repeat the concert experience. The alternatives are to listen to his CDs, or to listen to little-known singers in smaller, more intimate venues…

Selby Abbey: I've never seen a street party in a church before...


1 comment:

  1. This is the most British scene I've seen in some time. Each place must be set with a cooked English breakfast.

    ReplyDelete