Sunday 19 June 2016

Hostilities...

As a mark of respect, following the murder of Jo Cox, politicians took a break from EU hostilities. David Cameron and Jeremy Corbeyn appeared on the same platform in Birstall. Everyone was falling over themselves to say what a great MP Jo Cox had been, even though she had only been at Westminster for 13 months.

Canvassing resumes today. It won’t take long, I fear, for all the fine words and sentiments to be forgotten, and for the usual hostilities to be resumed. We’ll have a few more days of propaganda and scare-mongering, before a confused and ill-informed electorate cast their votes…

I called in at a car boot sale this morning, in a huge field near Garstang. There were lots of caravans and motorhomes, suggesting that a lot of people had stayed the night. I used to enjoy car boot sales, but the sight of acres of junk displayed on trestle tables left me feeling a bit dispirited this morning. There were chargers for obsolete phones, old computers, rusty tools, clothes that children have outgrown, toys they no longer want to play with, books that nobody wants to read (including one of mine!). There were CDs by long-forgotten boy bands, and cassette tapes and videos; I saw George Forman Grills and foot spas. This is the bargain basement of the consumer society. I kept my money in my pocket...

No comments:

Post a Comment