Saturday 13 February 2016

Spring light...

The satisfactions of living in a tiny motorhome can be quite basic, especially during the winter months: keeping yourself warm and fed and watered. The inside temperature is always a few degrees warmer than outside. When the temperature does drop, I can switch on the heating (which runs off the diesel tank, but requires some electric power too). More likely, I deal with colder weather by putting more clothes on and wrapping myself in the duvet. Fingerless gloves keep my hands warm, while allowing me to type.

The sleeping bag is always a temptation, and I keep toasty warm through my own body heat. It’s easy to have an early night, at this time of the year, and even easier to have a lie-in the following morning. I’m getting through a lot of books. The frustrations are the short days, when the sun barely shows, and the seemingly endless rain. But the days are lengthening, the clocks will go forward next month, and, in recent days, there has been a springlike quality to the light. It’s clear and piercing, bringing out the colour in the fringes of the trees. Warm colours: scarlets, ochres, pinks, purples…

No comments:

Post a Comment