Wednesday 28 October 2015

Candlestick...

Drove to Cockermouth today, having spent the night in Workington. I like Cockermouth (and not just for the enticing proximity of ‘cock’ and ‘mouth’). When it rains, locals must get nervous, because the town was flooded out in 2009. The shops in the broad main street have all re-opened, and many of them look even smarter than they did before the flood.

Years ago I photographed the ‘Candlestick’, overlooking Whitehaven harbour. I put the camera on the tripod as the light fell, and took a series of pix, every few minutes, for about an hour… until the ambient light was a deep royal blue, almost black. Though the illumination from the floodlights didn’t change, it seemed to get brighter as the ambient light receded. I re-did the shot last night. Not everyone would enjoy standing around, taking pictures in the gathering gloom, but it suits me…


No comments:

Post a Comment