Sunday 28 June 2015

Party...

Went to my nephew’s surprise 40th birthday party at Darwen Cricket Club, a green oasis in a small northern town. It was good to see his face when he came through the door, and 70 people started singing ‘Happy Birthday to you’.

A cricket game was in progress. The scene reminded me of the places where I’ve played cricket down the years. All the elements were in place… Cars parked around the ground. A few scattered spectators, mostly old guys. Lots of kids. Perimeter wall painted white, to act as a sightscreen. Wall covered in advertisements for local sponsors: bakery, Chinese restaurant, dog-grooming salon. Practice nets. Little brick-built scoreboard, with hooks for scorers to hang the numbers on. A big bar (where we were).

After the game, kids took to the outfield. Playing football. Playing cricket. Just running around with helium-filled party balloons (stopping to look skywards when they forgot to keep hold of the balloons). From the number of kids I saw playing, Darwen’s breeding programme seems to be well on track…

I had an early night, due to a surfeit of drum ’n’ bass being played by the DJ; from under my duvet the music sounded better, more like a lullabye. I woke up this morning, and the place was empty; the covers kept the wicket dry, in light drizzle. Darwen looks to be a busy club, so they’ll have a First XI, a Second XI and maybe a youth team too. I imagine there’ll be another game played today, as long as the weather improves…

Skipool Creek, on the River Wyre, Lancashire...

No comments:

Post a Comment